6.6.10

Red Velvets

Being bored has its perks & drawbacks. Well huge drawbacks - weight gain!!!

As I said being bored has its perks: catching up with the latest news, getting rest, fixing my room, eating, & discovering new stuff. One of the new things that I got to do for the last leg of my summer vacation was to bake all sorts of stuff, that includes cupcakes.

I have always wanted to make red velvet cakes but I see cakes to be a bit tedious so instead I made cupcakes!!!


On my first take of baking these delicate cupcakes I burned the bottom and did not really do a buttercream frosting instead I did a weird sweet butter topping.

I would really like to thank Ming Makes Cupcakes for the original recipe (I tweaked some elements on my recipe), my family totally loved it!!!


Red Velvet Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting

For the Cupcakes you need:
1 1/4 cup flour (all purpose flour could do)
3/4 cup sugar (brown sugar in my case)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp cocoa powder (in my case I pulverized semisweet chocolate)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk (a substitute of milk & vinegar should do the trick; ratio - 1:1)
1 egg
1 tbsp red food coloring
1/2 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla

Sift together the dry ingredients - flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, & cocoa powder in a medium sized bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the buttermilk, egg, food coloring, vinegar, & vanilla. Now add the
wet concoction
to the
dry mixture
gradually while mixing at medium speed until mixture is just combined and at smooth & gooey consistency. Fill the cupcake liners. Bake in a preheated oven at 175C for 15 to 20 minutes. To be sure that the cupcakes had been baked, poke a toothpick in the cupcakes and if it comes out clean then it's ready.

For the Buttercream Frosting:
1 stick room temp. butter (1/2 cup or 8 tbsp)
2 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
a dash of almond extract

Cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar, milk, vanilla, & almond extract then beat until spreadable consistency. This will yield a pale yellow-white mixture. Just wait for the cupcakes to cool then you can frost. You can use a plastic spatula or a piping bag to frost (I used spatula).

Voila!!! You now have delicious red velvet cupcakes topped with buttercream frosting. This recipe should make at least 12 cupcakes. :)

LATER!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tweet me

Twitter with Me

follow me on Twitter